Home Maintenance FAQ
One of the best things you can do as a homeowner is ensure your home is well-maintained throughout the year. Maintenance is key to keeping your appliances running good-as-new and avoiding any unexpected malfunctions. At THA, we believe it’s important to give you the tools you need to understand home maintenance. It can be hard to know where to start but we’ve put an F.A.Q. together for you, so you can start taking charge of your home maintenance.
How often does my home need maintenance?
The frequency of home maintenance depends a lot upon the size, age, and location of your home, more specifically what climate it is in. Here’s a breakdown of what to take care of and when to do it:
- Vacuum or clean all vents, filters, and reachable ducts to ensure proper air flow, less debris blowing around your home, and less build up in heating or cooling units. Build-up can lead to breakdowns! Also, make sure there is not any furniture or decor covering vents as this will block air flow.
- Empty drain traps and inspect for clogs, especially in tubs and showers.
- Ensure that all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working and have ample battery supply.
The great thing about monthly care is that you can do this yourself! Taking small steps each month will keep you from shelling out a few hundred dollars down the road.
- Have your septic tank inspected by a professional to ensure proper functioning.
- Call in a professional to inspect the AC system in preparation for rising temperatures. Make sure that all filters are clean prior to this!
- Check exterior of your home near windows and doors for wear-and-tear caused by winter weather. If anything appears worn, make note and have it replaced.
- Have heating system inspected before temperatures begin to drop.
- Have fireplace inspected and cleaned before winter begins. Make sure flue is clean and free of buildup as this may cause dangerous chimney fires.
- Replace insulation and sealant if it appears warm.
- Have water heater inspected and cleaned if necessary.
- Inspect basement for cracks or leaks due to increased rainfall in the spring.
- Have all drains professionally cleaned to prevent blockage and improve drainage speed.
Can I do this maintenance myself?
Small things, yes. Major things, call an expert. Home maintenance is one of those things where it’s worth your money and your safety to call in the professionals. Extreme care must be taken when dealing with electrified appliances, large parts, or heated parts. Additionally,
How costly is it to routinely maintain appliances?
Although some repairs and replacements may cost upwards of $400, spending money on routine maintenance needs is imperative. Look for discounts to help cut down costs. At THA, we offer rotating specials here on our coupon page! We offer discounts on preventative maintenance, which is a win-win for you as it will save you money now and later. By calling a professional ahead of time, you are able to get ahead of any appliance issues and stop the problem before it starts.
What effect will this have on my utilities bills?
With routine home upkeep, you should see a decrease in your utility bill costs. By ensuring that every appliance system and its parts are clean and well-maintained, each machine will run at maximum efficiency with no lost energy.
Who should I call?
Call us! At THA, we are committed to providing expert home repair at a reasonable price. We make sure that each and every client has a positive experience with us, receiving service immediately following an inquiry. Our team of seasoned HVAC and plumbing experts are here to make your home maintenance experience as easy and stress-free as possible.
Here at THA Heating, Air, & Plumbing, we know that it can be difficult to get ahead of the rising costs of home maintenance. We want to simplify your experience by giving you access to reliable, reasonable appliance work, as well as boost your personal knowledge. If you’re located in San Diego, call us at (858) 571-8865 to schedule your next repair, install, or anything else in between today!