Why It’s a Great Time to Shop for a New AC Unit
You may be surprised to see an article like this one, with winter rolling around soon. However, the fall is actually a great time to have your air conditioner serviced and potentially replaced. That’s because autumn is a slower season, meaning you won’t be spending your summer competing with the large volume of calls from other people sweating out a heat wave. Taking care of repairs and replacement ahead of time will keep your home functioning properly during harsh weather. The pros at THA Heating, Air, & Plumbing put together this guide to help you figure out exactly when, why, and how to replace your air conditioning unit.
As mentioned before, it’s best to schedule replacement during the fall or spring – the slow seasons. By booking in the slow season, you will be able to select appointment times that work with your schedule instead of picking from a few slots. This may take a little planning ahead and some careful attention to your air conditioner’s functioning, but it’s well worth it in the end.
Make sure you’ve done your research. Nowadays there are are a wide range of options to choose from to cool your home. Depending upon your priorities, you can select energy efficient units, cost effective units, or a combination of these and countless other options. As an educated consumer, you will be arming yourself with the tools necessary to be an experienced home owner.
Time Dependent Conditions:
- Your average air conditioning unit will last around 10 to 15 years, if properly maintained. There is a standard calculation used to decide when to replace your air conditioner when you have had the same system for over 10 years. When the cost of repair is equivalent to 33% of the cost of purchasing a new air conditioning unit, it’s time to schedule a replacement appointment. You will save hundreds of dollars down the road by boosting efficiency.
- Make sure you check your warranty before shelling out money for something that is already covered.
- The U.S. EPA has changed standards for refrigerant. By 2020, R-22 (Freon) will not be used anymore. Additionally, Freon is extremely expensive. Switching from a Freon charged unit to another unit with a different refrigerant will be compliant with new EPA standards and cost you less in case of a leak or break.
Situation Dependent Conditions:
- If your unit is frequently breaking down, it’s time for a replacement. Eventually, the repair costs will outweigh the value of keeping the same air conditioning system. By spending a greater amount of money up-front on a new unit, you’ll spend less than you would over time trying to fix a machine that’s beyond repair.
- You may notice your air conditioning system start to make loud noises, especially when shutting on and off. These noises can grow to become extremely disruptive especially if you have pets or small children. This should not be happening, and indicates that your air conditioner is overworking itself.
- If you’re noticing that your power bills are just as high after an air conditioning repair as before, that’s a sign that your air conditioner is ready to be replaced. Over time, the wear and tear of regular use becomes irreparable, and the machine is unable to function at its original efficiency.
- When the temperature in your home fluctuates, it can be extremely uncomfortable. This fluctuation is a sign that something is definitely wrong with your air conditioning unit. For a newer unit, you could be experiencing a leak. For older units, changing temperatures mean it’s time for a new unit. Make sure to first check the filter as that can cause issues with cooling.
Air conditioner repair and replacement should always be done by a professional.
This reduces hazards to you, your family, your home, and the air conditioning system itself. At THA Heating, Air, & Plumbing, we have a team of HVAC experts ready to help you whenever you need it. Call us to set up a consultation to see what’s going on with your air conditioner. We can help you research, understand, and finally select the perfect equipment for your home. Remember to check for savings! We offer competitive price reductions and special coupons. Check our coupon page, here, to see what promotions we currently offer!
Here at THA Heating, Air, & Plumbing, we know that it can be difficult to get ahead of the rising costs of home maintenance. We want to simplify your experience by giving you access to reliable, reasonable appliance work, as well as boost your personal knowledge. If you’re located in San Diego, call us at (858) 571-8865 to schedule your next repair, install, or anything else in between today!